Since its inception by Father John J. Foley, CSP and a group of neighborhood residents in 1979, ICS has been quietly, yet relentlessly pursuing its mission of improving the quality of life for tens of thousands of this neighborhood’s residents.
Proudly, it has done so effectively and efficiently, and has enjoyed an impeccable programmatic and fiscal reputation in the process. Beginning with its initial NYS Division for Youth grant of $20,000 in 1979 to its current annual operating budget in excess of five million dollars, ICS has grown to be the premier, and largest , free standing, not-for-profit organization in Inwood.
Guided continuously over the decades by a ‘grass roots’ Board of Directors comprised of community residents, former community residents, and representatives of local businesses, ICS’s professional, and culturally competent staff of over 150 employees currently offers the following family support programs serving over 4,000 individuals annually:
- The NYS OMH licensed Alicia M. Ferrer Mental Health Clinic
- The NYS OASAS licensed Comprehensive Outpatient Addiction Program
- A NYS DOE top tier rated ESOL program for adults, as well as newly added
- Civics classes for neighborhood residents desirous of becoming citizens
- The NYS OASAS funded Primary and Direct Prevention Program
- The NYC DYCD funded COMPASS After School Programs at PS 366, PS 278 and PS 189
- The NYC DYCD funded SONYC After School Programs at IS 52, IS 278, and IS 366
- The NYC DYCD funded SYEP (Summer Youth Employment Program), and Work, Learn and Grow (Year Round) Employment Program
- The Academy Street Play Street in conjunction with the NYPD Police Athletic League
- Lead agency and fiscal conduit services for the volunteer comprised, alcohol and drug prevention focused, community partnership: the UNIDOS COALITION
- Active involvement in the Washington Heights/Inwood Youth Collective, as well as the newly minted INWOOD NYC Initiative.
As should be apparent, ICS has grown impressively since its humble beginnings. I invite you to happily explore this new web site to learn more about us, see how we can help you (or you can help us), and in general, become part of the mission of service we have been pursuing for over 36 years.
Charles Corliss, Ph.D., ABPP